1) One of my FAVOURITE places since moving to Leicester and it's literally a couple of hundred yards from where we live in Wigston; The Tap and Barrell. A fab little Gin and Ale bar on Wigston High Street - selling a huge variety of ales and ciders, and certainly enough Gin to keep me going, there's something for everyone. Rob and Lou, the owners, are some of the nicest people you could ever meet and they absolutely make the Tap and Barrell the place it is. Definitely our go-to place if we don't want to go into town.
2) Rutland and Derby in town has the most fabulous outdoor area for the Summer. With a gorgeous Sun Terrace and plenty of seating, this was a firm favourite in the Summer 2018 if we were in town. They do lovely food including home made pizzas which are to die for. I already can't wait for Summer this year just so we can sit with a cider in the sun.
3) One of the first blogger events I got invited to in Leicester was the launch of Spirit Bar - a funky cocktail bar in the heart of town. They do THE BEST Pornstar Martinis and the setting is right up my Forensic-Anthropologist-wannabe street. With comfy sofas, funky music, outdoor seating - and great cocktails, it's a must for any bar crawl whether it's during the day or evening. They also do various cocktail hour offers too throughout the week.
4) If you're just out for a spot of lunch or need a break from shopping, visit my favourite hiding place; St Martin's Coffee Roasters in St Martin's Square. They do THE best Mochas, coffees and cake selection.
5) Sticking with the St Martin's Square area, if you fancy a niiiiice, and I mean niiiiice, Gin, Burleigh's Gin Bar is a must. It's a little pricier than a bogstandard Gin Bar, but this ain't no normal Gin Bar. Burleigh's do an incredible range of their own Gins and the bar is incredible with a fantastic, welcoming feel to it. If you like the Gin that much, you can also treat yourself to your own bottle of their own tipples. I love supporting local businesses that aren't a chain and this is definitely one of my favourites since moving to Leicester.
6) The last one for St Martin's Square is Bodega. Bodega is a fab little Mexican style restaurant which has a great menu with something for everyone. They do a mix and match selection deal type thing which is great for me and Nick as we like sharing smaller dishes if we get a few of them. The home made nachos are legit the best Nachos I've EVER had! They're actually amazing and I've been in just for the nachos alone before. They do a great mix of cocktails too!
7) One for January is Turtle Bay. It's a chain so you can probably find them anywhere but they do some fab food and drinks offers which is great for anyone like me who has no money left from Christmas! It's somewhere where I've only ever been for 2-4-1 cocktails and I've never eaten here until late last year. They do drinks offers but they also do food offers too which are on at all times, eg; 3 dishes for £12, 5 for £25 etc. Both larger dishes and side dishes too. I've never been a fish eater but the Crispy Squid is amaaaazing! I mean, obviously it needs to be washed down with BOGOF cocktails too ;)
8) The Yews is outside of Leicester town Centre but if you drive, visiting Oadby is a must for a nice meal. It's part of Greene King and it's been one of our favourite non-town restaurants since moving to Leicester and again, for January it's ideal with it's 3 courses for £19! It's a big menu too so there's something for everyone and a nice date night treat without breaking the bank. The food is always great and it feels like an "expensive" atmosphere within the modern décor, for a relatively cheap meal.
9) Last but not least, and anyone who knows me and Nick, or has been reading my blog for a while, knows I couldn't write this post without adding in Brewdog! It's a classic for us and we never go anywhere without checking if it has a Brewdog. The Leicester one is fab as it has games consoles, pool tables and music. Again for January it's great as they do BOGOF Pizzas on a Tuesday and Student discount for anyone with a student card too. The Pizzas are home made and totally insane.. give me a King Of Pigs pizza any day! For anyone thinking it's all about the beer, they have a range of their own spirits too along side wines and soft drinks so there really is something for everyone.
Living in Leicester has been great the last year and it's definitely been made all the more fabulous with our favourite places to eat and drink. I'm sure 2019 will bring lots of visits to all of the above but be sure to let me know where else we need to try in 2019 so I can add to our list of favourites!
Keep up to date with what I'm up to..